March 12, 2012

who would you want to meet?

this weeks tour...people
you know the random question, "if you could meet anyone, dead or alive, who would it be?"
i have never had an answer to that question, there are plenty of interesting people i would like to meet (inventors, artists, etc.), but no one that sticks out in my mind.
i now have an answer!
i just finished reading the book, Bonhoeffer, and all i can say is "wow!" (if you want to know about all those who were against Hitler, and what they did to try to end his reign, you should read this book)
in case you do not know who he is...Dietrich Bonhoeffer...was an amazing man of faith. he is best known for his involvement in the Valkyrie plot to assassinate Hitler. (which later he was arrested and killed for)
i am most impressed with his faith during the time in history in which he lived.
he never let his faith fade away, even during the most difficult of times. (he was imprisoned for 18 months)
from a very early age he knew he wanted to study theology and become a pastor. (i wish i knew what i wanted to do)
the thing that sticks out to me most at this particular moment in my life...is his work and study of the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew. 
that is what we are currently studying in church. (God has a sense of humor)
i find it interesting that he understood and lived his life the way Jesus wanted us to live, and he preached that through this particular section of Scripture. (he wrote several books, that i am so excited to read!) i am now learning about and gaining a better understanding of what it means to live your life fully for God and His calling for you.
Bonhoeffer knew what God was calling him to do would be dangerous, but he knew he needed to listen and follow God's plan for his life.
as hard as it seems at times...i know what God is asking me to do will not always be easy...but i know that is what He has planned for me.
when i think of leaving for 27 months, i get a little scared/nervous. i know i will never be alone, God will always be with me! 
i know that my time in FSM will bring me closer to God and my relationship with Him will be that much stronger.
i look up to Bonhoeffer as a great example of living out faith in this world.
i am blessed to have this opportunity, and i can not even begin to thank God enough for it, He wants to know me more just like i want to know Him more!
as always He knows just what to say to me...
march 11
"walk by faith, not by sight. as you take steps of faith, depending on Me, I will show you how much I can do for you. if you live your life too safely, you will never know the thrill of seeing Me work through you. when I gave you My Spirit, I empowered you to live beyond your natural ability and strength. that's why it is so wrong to measure you energy level against the challenges ahead of you. the issue is not your strength but Mine, which is limitless. by walking close to Me, you can accomplish My purposes in My strength."
by sarah young
i am so speechless at how God has worked in my life in the past year! and i am so excited for my new journey in life in which He will be my focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment