July 15, 2012

I am a ragamuffin

tours...
Happy Anniversary to my parents! I was so glad to be able to Skype with them today!! YAY!
*from now on when I use another language it will be Chuukese*
Raan Annim Aami! (good day everyone)
Ifa ussumw? (when someone asks me how I am doing)
Chaiwakawak (this is my usual answer...it means that I am super strong-and that is definitely how I feel with Jesus always by my side!)

June 9 - I have been here for 1 month! and I also began language training! (my current host family speaks Chuukese so I am able to practice at home!)
July 14 - family picnic at Nicho Marine Park! My nohno wanted to take me on a picnic before I leave. It was a great day! I even went on a canoe!

I have been reading "The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning, it is amazing! (by the way I have been enjoying every one's random messages throughout the book, thank you!) I love the word ragamuffin! It describes me so perfectly - I know I am a sinner...and that is why Jesus loves me!

some recent deals in my window shopping experience...
*all quotes come from Brennan Manning's book*
-keeping an open mind
"There is a wondrous open-mindedness and an insatiable desire to learn from life. An open attitude is like an open door - a welcoming disposition toward the fellow travelers who knock on our door during the middle of the day, the middle of the week, or the middle of a lifetime."
I look at each new day as a new door and I am so excited to see what Jesus wants to show me behind the door! Children have always been a huge part of my life. I love teaching and spending time with them. They teach me so much about child-like faith! Finding joy and happiness in the simplest of things. (like when my 4 year old cousin wants to play 'gimme a hi five' for 15 minutes!)
"If we maintain the open-mindedness of children, we challenge fixed ideas and established structures, including our own."
My outlook on life has changed drastically since my time in FSM. I am immensely more happy with having less stuff, and having more time with community and Jesus.
"The open mind realizes that reality, truth, and Jesus Christ are incredibly open-ended."
The more my mind is open the more I learn from Jesus!

-Trust
"Trust defines the meaning of living by grace rather than works."
My entire experience with my journey through Peace Corps has been based on my trust in Jesus. I know that He goes everywhere before me to prepare the way for me. I know that He is holding my hand and guiding me daily. I have given my life fully to Him and He has blessed me beyond what any words can describe.

-Gratitude
"Our response to the gratuitous intervention if Jesus in our lives is heartfelt gratitude."
I am forever grateful for Jesus' love. (I have learned the most about being grateful from my host family/community)
"Each encounter with a brother or sister is a mysterious encounter with Jesus Himself."
I feel so welcome and a part of my family, they have truly accepted me as one of their own, and they would do anything for me (and I for them!) They have offered me their friendship...
"Our deep gratitude to Jesus Christ is manifested neither in being chaste, honest, sober and respectable, nor in church-going, Bible-toting, and Psalm-singing, but in our deep and delicate respect fro one another."
I am going to miss my first host family! I know I will always have a family to lean on in times of need in Pohnpei.

Jesus has showed me so much in my short one month in FSM. I can only hope that I am always being myself, and be more of who I am in Christ to those around me.
"Authentic faith leads us to treating others with unconditional seriousness and to a loving reverence for the mystery of the human personality."

Kinissow chappur (Thank you very much) Jesus, I am so thankful that you are always holding my hand!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous18.7.12

    Elana,
    Beautiful...thanks for sharing!! (I've always wanted to read that book...I think I'll have to buy it now!) Praying for you; so glad Jesus has given you this wonderful chapter in your life!
    In His Love,
    Mary F

    ReplyDelete